Report: Standard - Beerschot

No Play Off 2 dessert for Beerschot after this heavy defeat as our Mannekes were denied a spot in the top 8 by just one point. A bit of a let off on the last day of the 2020-2021 season but that shouldn’t take away the great achievement, the glory and the satisfaction of our first campaign back in Division 1A. 

Especially in the first half of the season Beerschot produced some glorious football with high entertainment and loads of goals, which at one point – after our away win at KV Mechelen - resulted in a top of the league position. Even after a couple of setbacks in December and January Beerschot remained in a top six stop, with high hopes of grabbing that Play Off 2 ticket in the end. No icing on the cake though as Standard proved a bit too strong on the night. 

The home team claimed the ball from the start but didn’t find an opening in a strong and well organised Beerschot defense... until one minute from the break. One second of loss of concentration by Radic, who lost his grip on Klauss, resulted in the opening goal as Standard’s Brazilian striker successfully put a low ball from Siquet past Vanhamel. What a blow... 

Beerschot hadn’t shown enough attacking power in that first half. Both Eleke and Bakkali were unable to threaten in front of goal. Only Jan Van den Bergh created a couple of dangerous situations from the left wing where he frequently and impressively zoomed past his opponents. No shots on target for Beerschot in the first period. 

Just after the break both Eleke and Bakkali failed to score the equaliser. Blessing missed his shot at the final hurdle while Zakaria needed too much time to get past Standard goalie Bodart. Two big misses... and they cost dearly on the hour. 

Referee Lambrechts pointed to the spot when Joren Dom handled the ball in the Beerschot box. From eleven metres Ammalah sent Vanhamel the wrong way and coolly drove the ball in the net. Two-nil: it looked as it was game over. 

Beerschot regrouped, took over the initiative and created some half chances after that but Bodart and the Standard back four stood firm when Bakkali, Sanusi and Prychynenko tried their luck. Five minutes from the end the home team pounced again on a quick counter attack for an exaggerated 3-0 final score. 
REFEREE: Lambrechts 
GOALS: 44’ Klauss 1-0, 60’ Ammalah 2-0 (penalty), 86’ Muleka 3-0 
STANDARD: Bodart, Siquet, Sissako (78’ Lestienne), Laifis, Gavory, Bastien, Cimirot, Ammalah (85’ Raskin), Balikwisha (69’ Carcela), Muleka, Klauss (69’ Bokadi, 85’ Fai) 
BEERSCHOT: Vanhamel, Radic, (72’ Bourdin) Frans, Van den Bergh, Dom, Sanusi, Pietermaat (87’ Prychynenko), Holzhauser, Bakkali (66’ Mukuna), Brogno (72’ Vorogovskiy), Eleke 
YELLOW CARDS: Muleka, Pietermaat, Dom 
By Danny Geerts 
Photos: Jan Mees 

Jupiler Pro League

1 K. Beerschot V.A. 50 pts
2 SK Lommel 48 pts
3 K.M.S.K Deinze 46 pts
4 F.C.V. Dender E.H 45 pts
5 Patro Eisden Maasmechelen 43 pts